Friday, October 3, 2008

Kids say the darndest things

I thought about titling the post "he said, she said" and you'll know why after my story. So we went to Auto Zone to buy a new car battery and hopefully have it installed. I have to admit that I really had to study the person's face that was helping me as I didn't know which they were - a he or she....until I saw that name tag. Brenda was "her" name. So Brenda and I are outside putting the battery in and the boys are sitting in the car with the windows down. Trey began to get very impatient so that's when the questions began. It went like this: "MOMMY! Is HE almost done?" and I walked over to the window and quietly said "yes, SHE is almost done." I walked away to go stand with Brenda again and Trey shouts out the window "Why is she a BOY AND A GIRL???" Well, fortunately we were almost done but you can imagine how I was feeling at that point. I would've liked to have died right there on the spot.

5 comments:

Filleman Family said...

That is awful. I can sympathize. I was sitting in outdoor seating at AJ's feeding my boys last spring and there was a lady on her laptop at the table next to us. Davis (loudly of course) says "HE is typing outside" and I said "yes, SHE is". Davis says, "why does that girl have her haircut like a little boy then?". Why can't they be less perceptive :)

The Martins said...

Yeah, I've got one too-
We were out to lunch with my parents and sister and all the kids I got there late. The wait-person came to pour my water and bring a menu and Isaiah asked me a question about the meal- I responded with "He's not asking you what you want to eat yet. He'll be back in a minute."
and when "he" walked away my family kindly let me know that "his" name was Brenda (or something equally as feminine).
Coulda fooled me.

Ben and Melissa James said...

We have a name for that, it's called "Guess That Gender!" (You have to say it in your best game show voice.) We played it once while in line at the Hertz counter. "She" had a very gender neutral name...like Jordan or something like that. I think the blue nail polish finally gave it away but again that could have gone either way.

Tara said...

HAHAHAHA!! That is so funny! Man I'm just waiting for the day one of my kids do that...

Thanks so much for your encouragement!! I really appreciate it. It's an exciting and scary time :-) Lord willing I will get to meet some of your west side friends!

You're boys are adorable by the way!

Jason and Lisa said...

Jason and I have had this same discussion recently. There was a kid that was playing, had a girl name, one of us convinced it was a boy (even though it was a girl's name) and one convinced it was a girl. How awkward when our kids ask those questions and we aren't sure how to answer.